Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cherry Vodka

Can I tell you how hot it has been here in Boston? It makes me want to eat nothing but salads with Annie's Goddess Dressing, eat watermelon by the pound, and sip cool drinks all day long. In a recent shopping bounty, I purchased some wonderful sweet red cherries. So much of a bounty that I was concerned about using them all before they went bad. So, what did I do? I decided to try making my own cherry vodka. I took it to a house party last weekend and the verdict was "Yummy!"

Here's the deal...

Rinse 1lb of sweet red cherries. Pit them with a cherry pitter or by hand. I find that pitting by hand is faster when you get into a rhythm and is actually quite centering. Plus the benefits of red cherry juice to lick when you're done!

Aren't they beautiful?


Next, empty the cherries into your favorite blender. I use my trusty
Oster Beehive Blender. I love that it is bright red and it crushes ice like no one's business! Just blend until all cherries are blended.


You could stop here if you wanted and strain this cherry juice for plain juice, or to create homemade cherry popsicles. However, I like vodka and I like cherries, so we will continue!

Next, we're going to add the vodka and it doesn't really matter what kind (top-shelf or not). I added 2 cups of vodka to the cherry pulp in the blender. Make sure your blender cover is on, and again, continue to blend until vodka and juice are mixed.




'


The next part is actually the hardest part! Letting it ferment together at least overnight in the refrigerator if not for 24 hours.

Once you've waited as long as possible, take out the juice mix. The next step is to make the juice less pulpy. Many ways to do this, but the easiest I've found is to use cheesecloth and a large strainer over a large bowl. Slowly empty the juice mixture into the cheesecloth. It will take about a half-hour to strain, but the final result is worth it! Discard what's left in the cheesecloth, and pour the juice in the bowl into a shakeable container.

Serve it up with a little fresh lime juice, some seltzer and ice and you've got yourself a fresh light berry wonder! Now, if you'll excuse me, my drink is waiting on the deck...


Stay cool!




No comments:

Post a Comment