I am hosting an Apple Picking Picnic at Shelburne Farm in Stow, MA today. It is the perfect weather for it. Sunny, clear and warm. Perfect for wandering the rows spelunking for that perfect apple. Somehow you just know by the touch of it that it is going to be wonderful. I hope to get some great photos of my friends and the orchard itself. Also today there will be ponies, farm animals, hayrides, etc for the kids so should be a treasure trove of photo opps.
Then, later this evening we are celebrating my friend K's birthday with a dinner at my house. For her special dinner, she asked for macaroni & cheese (the homemade kind), and so I was stuck as to what to make with it.
Here's what I settled on...
- Some of our wonderful apples from the orchard,
- a lovely Irish Cheddar,
- a homemade olive tapenade and
- an artichoke parmesan melange served with Italian Taralli.
To go with the Mac & Cheese:
- Roasted Tomatoes and Cipollini Onions (thank you smittenkitchen.com!) I got this ready last night and thanks to Deb I now know an easy way to peel onions!
- A Romaine/Spinach Salad with Pumpkin Seeds, Dried Cranberries and Goat Cheese with a Balsamic Vinagrette
- Homemade Brownies with Vanilla Ice Cream and Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Spiced Walnuts
Oh, and wine. Never forget the wine.
A Provence from Peju Vineyards in Napa, CA - from a trip to Napa last year. Sadly, my last bottle :(
My friends are bringing the rest of the wine. I'll let you know what we end up with!