I am feeling the financial pinch after being out of an official job for about a year now. So, what is a girl to do when faced with friends & family need gifts? I'm in the baking/cooking mode, so this is what I've come up with...
Double Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- 10 ounces good quality dark chocolate
- 12 ounces good quality milk chocolate
- 1 cup crushed peppermints or candy canes
Line a 9x13" pan with parchment paper. In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the dark chocolate. Pour the melted dark chocolate into the pan and spread with a spoon to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Place pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Crush the peppermints or candy canes and set aside.
Once the dark chocolate is set, pull it out of the refrigerator and melt the white chocolate the same way. Pour over the dark chocolate and spread quickly. Immediately sprinkle the crushed peppermints onto the white chocolate. Set again in fridge, and when the bark is set, break into pieces.
Chocolate Rum and/or Almond Balls
- 8 ounces pecans, toasted and cooled
- 9-ounce package chocolate or vanilla wafer cookies
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup rum (I plan on using Amaretto)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Zest of 1 orange (I pulled this out too since I’m allergic)
- Colored decorating sugars (granulated sugar can be substituted)
In a food processor, pulse the pecans until finely ground. Add the cookies and pulse until ground. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until thoroughly mixed. Roll the mixture into small balls, then decorate by rolling in colored sugars. Store in an airtight container.
I hope my friends like them and know that they come from the right place... my heart!
I'll be making them late Friday night, and I'll post the pics when they are all set! Wish me luck!