Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Spicy Almond Tofu Steaks

I've got a yummy recipe for you tonight.  I had a long day but looked forward to a tofu dinner!

Let's get right to it...

Spicy Almond Tofu Steaks with Sugar Snap Peas
Take 1 pkg of Firm Tofu (I used Trader Joes)

Cut the tofu block into 8 “steak” pieces.  Season a heavy sauté pan with a teaspoon of sesame oil.  I season pans by putting the oil in the pan and then wiping it out with a paper towel.   It leaves enough so the tofu doesn't stick, gives a little sesame flavor, all for little addition of fat & calories.

Heat the pan with a medium/hot  flame, and put one layer of tofu in the pan.  Saute on med/high for 5 minutes each side until brown.

As each finishes, put on a paper towel.

While your tofu steaks are cooking, get your Spicy Almond Sauce ready!


Mix together in a small bowl:

1 Tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp of Almond Butter (or any other nut butter you like!)
1 tsp of Chili Oil
½ tsp of Hot Red Pepper Paste (or just use more chili oil)

You might see the mixture start to clump together.  If the flavor is right, just add water.  If it's too sweet, you can add a little more soy sauce or vinegar to thin it out.  If it's too tart, add more almond butter or even just a pinch of sugar. 


Serve the tofu steaks with a side cup of Spicy Almond Sauce and Sugar Snap Peas.

 Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy I might have to try it.

    Also, I wanted to say that I left you a followup to your comment yesterday over at my place. I hope today is a better one today.

    ReplyDelete