Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers (or Friends)

I continue to be amazed at the ways that the Internet can bring people together. 

While a considerable number of my friends are dropping their Facebook accounts because of jealousy at their friends' supposedly great lives, or seeing too much information about an ex's new life, I have had the opposite experience.

I've been struggling with a few family issues recently, and feeling quite alone.  Sometimes I don't want to talk about it with my real life friends because it is too personal and vulnerable.  But somehow, in the midst of all of the rudeness you can find on the web, I have found kindness.

I asked a bloggy friend (a real life stranger) to reframe an experience I had with my mother recently, and in return she provided me with the kindness I wish my real life friends could.  I was able to be vulnerable in the safety of her blog, and she responded with gentleness and a level of challenge for me to see the situation differently.

Here's what I challenge you to do:  reach out to other people that you may see in your daily life that are struggling. It may be in reading someone's blog needing a supportive comment, or even a friend that simply needs an hour off from her children.  Reach out and be kind.  It is so appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment