Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dancin' in the Rain

So what if it drizzles
And dribbles and drips?
I'll splash in the garden,
I'll dance on the roof.
Let it rain on my skin,
It can't get in -
I'm waterproof.

"Dancin' in the Rain" by Shel Silverstein from Falling Up.
I love the illustration for this poem.  There is a little naked being, gender indeterminate, jumping and skipping in the flowers as the rain comes down.  It's beautiful and full of joy.


It rained and rained and rained last night here in Boston, and I woke up feeling a bit reborn, a bit cleansed.

I've been indulging in children's poetry of late for class, and came across an old Shel Silverstein book in my bookcase.

"Falling Up"

Falling Up
I remembered devouring his books when I was young, and I again found myself drawn to the simple, funny and sarcastic humor of Mr. Silverstein.  The illustrations are simple line drawings but have such detail and unabashed talent.  You can't help but laugh at some of the crude language (for children).  I can't believe my mother bought me these books!

But today, reading them again, I am transported to a more innocent time.  A time when I could dance in the rain without fear of judgment or melting.  I wish I had been out in the storm last night.  I could have danced...

Did you have a favorite Shel Silverstein poem or book?  I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment