Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reflections

Just a recent photo from this fall that I wanted to share. 

I'm sitting here keeping vigil in my Mom's hospital room.  It's 11pm, and after a very emotional family meeting, my brother and I just don't feel like leaving her tonight.

My brother has just left, and I'm going to stay a few more hours.  It's really for our sake, not hers, as she is resting comfortably right now.  I'm glad for it.  She needs the rest to have a chance of fighting the battle she will have to fight in the next few days.  We hope and pray that she will be up for it, but we are prepared for the worst as well.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I had hoped to be sharing my Mom's Cardamom rolls recipe tonight with you.  Since we've been in the hospital all week I haven't had the energy, will or time to bake and photograph.  But as it one of my favorite holiday recipes, I guess it will have to be a Christmas share instead. 

In the meantime, here are a few similar recipes I've found around the web:
Swedish Cardamom Rolls from Epicurious (very similar to my Mom's)
Jenna's Sweet Cardamom Rolls from Eat, Live, Run
One from Project Foodie

We're hoping to get out for an hour or so tomorrow, perhaps to my fathers (about an hour away), or even to a friend's house (more nearby).  My friends have been wonderful in checking in several times a day.  My best friend P sat with me for many hours while I waited a few days for my siblings to come in from around the country.  Then K took over, even staying overnight with me so I wouldn't be alone.  These are the times that I wish I had a partner, a husband, etc. to lean on for support.  Instead I am relying on my friends' kindness and generosity to get me through.

So, besides being thankful that my Mom is here for another day, I am thankful for my wonderful friends.  I hope that on this day of Thanksgiving, you too are surrounded by your loved ones.


Happy Thanksgiving to you.  I am grateful for so many things, and you are one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment