Sunday, April 3, 2011

Braised Fennel with Angel Hair Pasta

I told you I had fennel sitting in my vegetable drawer.  It's been there for a week and I'm surprised it lasted.  I've been craving fennel, it's licorice bite, braised, slawed, any way it wanted to come.  So tonight, I made some Braised Fennel with Angel Hair Pasta.  I love creating a new, easy recipe.  I would definitely make it again!

I started with 2 large fennel bulbs, rinsed and peeled wherever there were imperfections.


Aren't they just beautiful?  As I cut it, I could smell the light licorice essence with every slice.

Rough chop the fennel into 1/3 inch slices.  I trimmed most of the fennel fronds, but kept a few for color and a little more bite.


In a heavy skillet, heat a tablespoon of good olive oil over medium-high flame.  I used a favorite Olive Oil from Jordan Vineyards in California because I knew I wanted the best flavors possible for this dish.  This olive oil is like gold in my house, so it doesn't come out very often!  Then, add your fennel.

Cook over medium-high heat for five to seven minutes, tossing and watching for some good browning.  Add salt and pepper.



Once it starts to brown, add 1/4 cup of white wine and 1/4 cup of veggie, beef or chicken stock.  Cover tightly for 10 minutes, and the fennel will start to cook through and caramelize.  Check often.  While that's cooking, start a small saucepan of hot water.  Add a pinch of salt.  Once it starts to boil, add in 4-6 oz of angel hair.  This will cook for 3 or 4 minutes to al dente.  Keep an eye on it, it goes quick!

Meanwhile, uncover the fennel, and see what we get!  Done!






Drain the angel hair, and then put back into saucepan.  Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 Tbsp of fresh grated Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Pour angel hair 2 into separate bowls.  Set aside another 1 Tbsp of Parmesan.

Top the Angel Hair with your Braised Fennel, and toss a few into the mix, along with the rest of the Parmesan.

Serve and enjoy!  

Man, this was so good!  I was ready to go back and make it again for more!  But, I held off.  It took less than a half hour to make, so great for a weeknight dinner.  I hope you like it!

Do you love fennel?  Any recipes you would recommend?

Here's the recipe all in one:
2 Fennel Bulbs
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup White Wine
1/4 cup Vegetable, Chicken or Beef Stock
2 Tbsp Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
4-6 oz Angel Hair
Salt & Pepper
  • Rinse & rough chop 2 large fennel bulbs into 1/3 inch slices, leaving some fennel fronds for more flavor (optional).
  • In a heavy skillet, heat a tablespoon of good olive oil over medium-high flame.  Then, add your fennel.
  • Cook over medium-high heat for five to seven minutes, tossing and watching for some good browning.  Add salt and pepper.
  • Once it starts to brown, add 1/4 cup of white wine and 1/4 cup of veggie, beef or chicken stock.  Cover tightly for 10 minutes, and the fennel will start to cook through and caramelize.  Check often. 
  • While that's cooking, start a small saucepan of hot water.  Add a pinch of salt.  Once it starts to boil, add in 4-6 oz of angel hair.  This will cook for 3 or 4 minutes to al dente. 
  • Meanwhile, uncover the fennel and leave the heat on low.
  • Drain the angel hair, and then put back into saucepan.  Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 Tbsp of fresh grated Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
  • Pour angel hair 2 into separate bowls.  Set aside another 1 Tbsp of Parmesan.
  • Top the Angel Hair with your Braised Fennel, and toss a few into the mix, along with the rest of the Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment