Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mmmm...Lunch! (Chicken, Jicama & Apple Salad)

It's a beautiful day here in Boston, as the heat broke last night along with the humidity.  But, it's still sunny and warm, and feels like what summer should always feel like.  I've been craving cool foods lately, so I wanted to share my latest creation with you.


Chicken, Jicama & Apple Salad
I just made this up based on what I had in my refrigerator, so I'll give you some general guidelines and then you can add or subtract as you need.

These ingredients are what you need:


1 apple (small chop)
1/2 medium jicama root (peeled and sliced)
1 scallion, diced
1 chicken breast (cooked and chopped)
1 Tbsp chia seeds (I was out of walnuts & other nuts, so chias worked well here!)
3 Tbsp of Plain Yogurt (I used Fage)
2 tsp Lime Juice (lemon would work here)
2 tsp rice vinegar (apple would work too)
1 tsp agave nectar (or 1/2 tsp sugar)
salt & pepper to taste

I had a cooked chicken breast in the fridge from over the weekend.  Shaws had them on sale, so I boiled up about 2lbs for use in salads & other dishes. It's a great time saver, and adds great protein to whatever meals I'm making during the week.

Chop the jicama, apple, scallion & chicken, then toss together in a large bowl.  In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, lime juice, rice vinegar, agave and salt & pepper.   Toss with the fruit mixture & chicken.  Cover & chill for at least one hour.  Serve on a bed of lettuce, or a great sourdough bread.

Some variations you could try, which I didn't have on hand. 
  • Walnuts
  • Cranberries
  • Dried Cherries
  • Celery

Today's lunch was this Chicken, Jicama & Apple Salad along with a cup of my Watermelon Gazpacho that I also made a batch this weekend.  Cold, crisp and crunchy.  A super healthy lunch, and so good!

Bad photo, but good lunch!



Yumm!  Enjoy your day!
What have you been creating this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment