Sunday, May 1, 2011

Six Word Memoirs

Getting out of the car the other day, I heard a snippet of an NPR story about six word memoirs.  Smith Magazine had run a story about them, and NPR was spreading the word.  What was funny was that I was on my way into my therapy appointment!  I'm always thinking of some new thing to share at therapy.  It got me thinking about how mantras, mottos and sayings can really help us.  I like the idea of using the six word memoir as a goal setting formula.  Much like those goal setting coaches that advocate writing your own obituary as a means for figuring out what you want to be remembered for, the six word memoir can be used in the same way.

But where do you start?  This is the guide I made up to write a six word memoir based on your goals.  It's only 3 questions.

What is your life experience?
What words would you use to describe yourself, or who would you like to be?   
What would you like to be remembered for?

1. What is your life experience?
  • Traveler
  • Writer
  • Photographer
  • Nurturer

2. What words would you use to describe yourself, or who would you like to be? 
  • Creative
  • Dreamer
  • Loving
  • Adventurous

3. What would you like to be remembered for?
  • Service
  • Contribution
  • Changing Someone's Life

Here are few of mine.  It's a work in progress that will change as I change.  But, I hope you have fun with this exercise!

  • Creative Dreamer Set the World Afire
  • A Life Changed, Many More Next
  • Adventurer Found Hope, Love Was Gold


I'd love to hear your six word memoirs.  Drop me a comment with yours!

One more thing:

This photo is hanging out on my desktop, and makes me laugh everytime I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment