Monday, July 11, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet - Clean Eating Summer Treat

It's another warm day here in Boston, so I've been rummaging through my freezer looking for cold food to cool me down.  Here's what jumped out at me today!

For the fourth of July I had bought a huge watermelon on sale at Whole Foods.  It was huge and delicious, but I couldn't eat it all before it would start to turn.  So, what's a thrifty girl to do?  Freeze it!  I cut it up into lots of pieces, and tucked them into several zipper freezer bags.


Here I am a week later with a half of a watermelon, cubed and frozen  What to do?  Why Watermelon Sorbet, of course!

Whir the frozen watermelon in the food processor until it looks like watermelon slush.  You could stop here, and enjoy a simple fruit treat.


I went a little further, and added:
  • Juice of one lime (I started with one 1/2, and added more to taste)
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup of white sugar (to taste)


If the watermelon is too slushy for your liking at this point, put it back into the freezer for at least a half hour.

Pulse with the food processor again, then serve with fresh mint in a dessert cup.
If I had been able to wait, I would have left it in the freezer for a little longer.  It was delicious, both sweet and fresh. 

I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! I'm not a watermelon fan usually but this almost makes me want to try some lol. No in all seriousness, great blog, I'm just poking around!

    ReplyDelete