Thursday, August 30, 2012

Visits

Do you believe in ghosts? This is not a paranormal discussion. But I'm wondering a little bit. In the rush to pack up my house this week I almost threw away a very sentimental ring of my Mom's. It was her mom's ring and it's got great filagree. Now I wear it almost every day. And I think of my Mom.

Last night I had a dream that I had thrown away Mom's ring. I could picture it on the corner of this little bookcase. This little bookcase was sitting by my front door waiting to go to the trash heap, after having been beaten up over the years. In my dream I remember thinking "No, I put Mom's ring in the dish in the bathroom like I always do." But something or someone knew me better than that.

When I woke up this morning I was startled to find that my hand was bare. I've lost about 20 pounds in the last three months, and lately the ring has been flipping around in my hand, a little bit uncomfortable. So I've started to take it off before I go to bed. I always put it in this one dish in the bathroom.

I went to get my ring this morning, thinking about that dream, and it wasn't there. I looked under the dish, on the floor under the dash, next to the dish. Nothing. My heart rate went up. How could that be, where was the ring? I even called my work to see if maybe the list and found had found it. But no luck.

Then I remembered the dream. I thought "There is no way I would've put the ring on that bookcase, and especially not moving it to the front door. I would've noticed it or it would've fallen off."

Well, I checked it anyway. On one corner of the bookcase, stuck in a little groove, there was the ring.

All I could think of this morning was "Mom, is that you?" Were you keeping an eye on me? An eye on the ring? I know it's one of your favorites. That's why it's one of my favorites now.

I hope it was you telling me to look in the bookcase. I miss you and I wish you would come visit more often. In the meantime I'll take these little visits in my dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment