Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Fresh Start

Literally.
 

Fresh beginnings for the new year.  Vitamin C by the bucket.  Tart, spicy and sweet.

My Mom's Five Spice Orange and Grapefruit Melange.  So easy and delicious.

Take Fresh Grapefruit (I used one white and one ruby red), slice and pull the pulp from the rind.  

Add one large can of mandarin oranges in pear juice, or it's own juice.  Whatever you can find at the store.

Warm in a saucepan together.  Add lots of Five Spice (I used a Tablespoon).  My Mom used to use Nutmeg and Cinnamon.  I love that, but am also a fan of cloves, cardamom and ginger, so the Five Spice makes it easy!
 
 Cook until the grapefruit starts to fall apart, and the aroma means you can't wait anymore.
Serve into 4 oz bowls with a spoon.  It's a wonderful warming way to start a winter day.  Especially the first day of the New Year. 
Thinking about you today Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment