Monday, November 19, 2012

Brussel Sprouts Anyone?


Rooting around in my fridge today I realized I still had brussel sprouts on a stalk that I had bought at Trader Joe's on Thursday.

 

They weren't going bad, but every time I opened the door they were staring at me. Ok, I give, I give! 

So here's what I did:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Cranberries, Walnuts and Gorgonzola (serves 6-8)

1 stalk of brussel sprouts (or about 30-36 sprouts)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil (1 for cooking, 1 for mixing)
2 oz gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled
1 oz dried cranberries
1 oz chopped walnuts or pecans
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & pepper
1 cookie sheet with sides

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Destalk your brussel sprouts from the stalk by twisting slightly and  snapping them off.

Remove any yellow or wilted leaves.  Cut the brussel sprouts in half so they are easier to eat. (Bonus, they cook faster too!)


Put them all in a bowl of cold water, and plunge them several times to make sure they’re clean.  Drain.

Put them all back in the bowl, and add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, I Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, and salt & pepper as you would to taste.

Mix until all well covered.  Then add cranberries and walnuts in with the sprouts.


Place your sprout mixture onto cookie sheet and spread so that it is only one layer.


Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then stir carefully.  Put back in the oven for 15 minutes.  Your sprouts should be light to medium brown. If not somewhat soft, you can put them back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.

Once they are done, put them into a large heat safe bowl.  Add ½ - 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and Salt & Pepper again to brighten things up.  Then add 2 oz of your gorgonzola cheese, mixing well into the sprouts.  Let sit for a few minutes, then stir again.  The gorgonzola will be melty and start to cover the sprout mixture.


Serve while warm.  It also makes a great lunch treat cold!

Hope you enjoy!  I’d love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment